Sunday, May 1, 2011

Magenta Weeds, Compost & Peas

Great news ...

It was finally a full week of spring (almost summer-like) weather so the garden is responding.

My compost pile is fixed! I added all those leaves(and worms) last week and it is heating up really nicely, the smell and sliminess is gone as well. Yesterday, I stirred it a bit ... and will turn it fully next weekend. Really excited to use the compost with my garden this year.

Last week when we were clearing the garden I was constantly pulling these magenta-plants. Ugh. They are everywhere in the yard and I have no idea what they are. Invasive weeds? Some exotic ornamental that was planted and refuses to stay in one spot? They are literally everywhere in the yard and I want them gone.

Big Magenta Weeds

Here they are when they are several WEEKS old. Huge, right?  What are these things? How do I get rid of them? Any ideas for online databases of annoying invasive plants??


Younger Magenta Weeds


MOST of my seedlings are responding really well to the warm weather. Everything except the eggplant is showing signs of sprouting now.  :)  I transplanted the peas into the garden yesterday, and sewed carrots directly next to them.
Newly Transplanted Pea Plant
I also sewed thyme directly into the garden, along the right hand border of the top terrace.  I envision it growing in a viney, sprawling, tangled fashion all along the brick border of the terrace.

All the baby mesclun lettuces were also ready to go out. :) I'll thin them out as needed this week once they take root and I can tell the strong from the weak.
Mesclun Lettuces


The beets and chard should be ready to transplant to the garden next weekend.  Maybe the parsley, cilantro, basil, and chives as well. I only see signs of a few cucumber, beans, and cantaloupe beginning to poke through the soil, so it looks like 2  more weeks for those plants. But I am most excited about those tomatoes!! Finally, finally, I see six glorious little seedlings pushing through the soil.  I can't wait to eat some delicious heirloom Italian tomatoes this year.  I'll keep saving the seeds and hopefully in the next few years as I get better at this gardening thing, I can can them and make fresh yummy sauce all year long! :)

A view of the garden
Considering how things have changed, I'm cautiously optimistic that by next weekend my eggplant, thyme, and carrots will be showing signs of life. :)

~MP~





No comments:

Post a Comment